Friday, November 29, 2013

Resolutions, Making Life Beautiful, and Giving Thanks

Yes, I know we are still a little over a month away from New Years, but I want to get a head start on my resolutions that way I can get used to it before the new year, 2014, arrives.

Resolutions:
My first resolution: I NEED to take better care of myself. I need to stay on top of my therapies and medications for sure. I also need to get in tune with my body a bit more. When it says, "I'm tired," I have to listen. I have a tendency to push and push and push until I can no longer push. And I am so blessed to have an amazing man (along with many others) in my life who cares enough to help me stay on track.
My second resolution: I am going to make my life beautiful. I will do my very best not to judge others. Positivity is a huge factor in my physical health. When I feel good mentally, a majority of the time I feel good physically. Taking time for the simple things is something I want to improve on as well: Watching squirrels play, children play, leaves blowing. So from now on, I am going to do everything I can to continue on a positive path.
My third resolution: I want to start doing something to benefit the community. Since I can't work due to frequent hospitalizations and illness, I want to find something that can occupy my time. I do so much better with structure. I want to start volunteering. Animal shelters are at the top of that list. Maybe shelving books at the library or doing projects for the elementary school. There are so many possibilities in the world of volunteering.
My fourth (and final) resolution: I want to be a better person. There is ALWAYS room for improvement there. Kindness goes a long way and it isn't hard at all, yet most of us seem to be too busy with our own self-indulgence to notice that we aren't being who we should. One of my favorite quotes goes like this: "A little spark of kindness can put a colossal burst of sunshine into someone's day."

I know that anyone can leave this earth at any time, whether they are ill or not, but I think the outlook of people with a progressive, terminal, or chronic illness is different than those who are "healthy." I am currently working on my bucket list (which I am going to try to post on here soon). There are so many AMAZING things in this world and I am going to do as many of the 100 things on that list as I can before my time here is up. I used to think that because of my Cystic Fibrosis I couldn't do many of the things I dreamed of doing, but I realize that is in no way true.
Since yesterday was Thanksgiving, I also want to share what I am thankful for. I have so many reasons to be thankful, and I am more than blessed to have these reasons.

I am thankful to still be breathing; although it can be difficult sometimes, I AM still breathing. And as long as I am breathing there is hope. Hope that someday I will see a cure.

I am thankful to have two incredibly amazing families. Both my biological family and my foster family have influenced me to help mold the person I am. From my families, I have learned of values and respect. From both, I have received unconditional love. Even in times I am hard to love, they continue to shower me with encouragement and inspiration. They have helped me love myself again.

I am thankful for my big, slobbery mastiff, Mator. When all else fails to comfort me, he is the one what will lay his head in my lap and let me cry to him. And when the crying stops he licks the dried tears off my cheeks.

I am thankful for my friends and extended family. The support I receive from them is wonderful! Every message, card, text, and letter I get from them makes the days a little easier.

I am thankful for my boyfriend who is helping me in so many ways to reach my goals, accomplish my bucket list, comply with my health needs, and still has time to remind me that I am beautiful (even though I ask him if he's crazy every time).

I am also so thankful to have so many material things. And I do NOT take those for granted. I know, although I am not rich, that I am blessed to have what I have. There are so many who have less than I do, and I continuously remind myself of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment