Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Harsh Reality...

I had an appointment with my pulmonary doctor at the University of Minnesota last Thursday. After three weeks on IV antibiotics at home, my lung function is even lower than when I was started. I am currently on two IV antibiotics and three oral antibiotics and still losing ground instead of gaining. Lately, every joint in my body is beyond sore. I feel like I am going to break when ever I move. Laying in bed is even uncomfortable. Sleep is a stranger to me these last few months. I usually end up staying awake until I get so exhausted that I passout where ever I sit. My dose of steriods is still wreaking havoc on my blood sugars; high throughout the day and crashing in the morning. There is no happy medium...

I feel the quote, "Laughter is the best medicine," really does not fit for me. Laughing, even just a single giggle, sends me into a 20 minute coughing spasm, usually resulting in intense vomiting episodes. Walking is a lovely task as well. Ten steps, cough, cough, hack, gasp, wheeze, cough, spit, ten steps, gasp, cough, hack, spit, hack, wheeze, gasp, gasp, spit, and repeat. Sometimes, even mid-sentence I need to stop and catch my breath.

I know most of my problems stem from my living environment. I live in a 34 year old house, with soft floors, sagging ceilings, and mold. As most people know, mold can be an issue for most healthy people, but for me it can be life-threatening to live in an environment with any amount of mold. In the last year, I have spend more time in the hospital/at home with IV antibiotics than I have home/off IV antibiotics... I know I need to get out of here, but until I have somewhere else to live that isn't possible.

I ended up going to the ER yesterday with bad stomach/back pain, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and pale as heck! I was probably whiter than the snow in my back yard. :( After some testing my WBC count came back HIGH HIGH HIGH, which is BAD BAD BAD because I am already on the five antibiotics. They did a CT scan, which showed intense swelling and infection in my intestines. They think I may have inflammatory bowel disease. :'( Not looking forward to the possibility of another belly surgery!!!

Well, I am extremely exhausted so I am going to go bundle up under my covers! Hope you all have a wonderful day and a Merry Christmas if I am not back on here before then! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment